Sunday, January 20, 2008

great expectations

I was browsing through the book corner and realized that I had not yet made a review of Charles Dickens "Great Expectations". Let me first say it is very difficult to make comments on 'classics'. After all they are classics aren't they. But here I go...

Great Expectations by C. Dickens
*****

This is a great book. It is a little slow at the beginning but Dickens wonderfully paints the picture with words to keep you interested. The language in it makes you want to run to a dictionary. And makes you wish you were the elegant with words. I wish the ending had a little more of an umph. The original ending was quite depressing and I would have been more unhappy with it, but I still wanted more even though it was rewritten. That should speak of an authors heart, if what they want isn't there then you can tell.

No comments: