Friday, January 18, 2013

an extra cookie type of day

Today ended up being quite a crazy day. It didn't start that way. I had a full day of stuff to get done, which is not abnormal. But today I had more of a "me" centered day planned. I had a hair appointment to get a new do, I had a dermatologist appointment to get some cream for my face, and I was going to run to target to pick up some beautician toiletries that I had run out of. Simple enough, right?

Well in between getting my hair done and my doctors appointment; Russ, the kids, and I got an opportunity to meet some friends at the park and have all the kids play. When we got there we played a little bit with the kids. I started going down the slides with the kids in my lap. After going down several times I got use to how quickly we went down. I went down one slide with Austyn on my lap. This slide went down straight but had a slight curve to the right at the end. Just as we were getting to the the curve, Austyn stuck his leg out. I saw it bend in a way that wasn't natural. It was such a horrible site to see. My automatic response was to quickly straighten it back. But instantly Austyn started crying and I called Russell to come quick. We checked his foot, leg, and ankle and didn't see anything out of place. It took a while for Austyn to finally settle down. Even then he kept saying his foot hurt.  But he wouldn't stand on it.  We decided to end our time at the park and go on home. At home we elevated his leg, gave him an ice pack, some Tylenol and then set him up with his favorite movie and some snacks and juice. With him calm and things as good as can be I went off to my doctors appointment. After it was over I called Russ to see how things were going. Penelope was getting antsy. Austyn still wasn't standing on his leg. Russ had to hold him up to go to the potty, which then lead to many tears from him for messing with his leg. I came home and took Austyn off to a close urgent care that had xray equipment. The place was full of patients. And in the mean time Austyn (my about 40 lbs son) needs to be carried everywhere.

A little over a hour into waiting we were playing games on my phone with Austyn on my lap. He was laughing and having a good old time. I stated out loud, "no one is going to believe that you have any problems. They will all think that his mommy is just over-reacting".   Just then, I repositioned him and must have bumped his foot and tear came flowing again.  I tried to calm him down but he wouldn't stop crying.  I went  out to the hallway to pace with him to see if I could get him to calm down.  He started then saying "I walk. I walk".  So I would try to put him down but he wouldn't try to stand.  And then he would cry.  I set him down on a counter real quick to reposition my purse and then realized he had peed his pants.  My poor boy.  He was so upset.  All that extra juice for not feeling well wasn't helping with this bathroom situation we are now in.  I had to call Russ to come and bring a change of pants.  The staff at urgent care brought me a disposable bed pad and a full adult size gown.  Ah, well.....  Russell showed up some time later and he was able to change into dry clothes.

Another 30-45 minutes later we finally got called back.  Please God, let us not get sick from all the people who have a flu in the urgent care waiting room.  Finally.   We got some x-rays done.  I made balloon gloves for Austyn and now Penelope who are both bored in the room.  Results:  no fracture!  Thank GOD!  When the Radiologist gets there on Monday he will have another look at it to be sure that there is no break.  But it is most likely a sprain.  The doctor informed me that at this age a lot of the bone at the top of his foot is still cartilage and won't show up on a x-ray.  So if he still isn't able to walk on it by Tuesday we have to go back to the doctor.  Don't try to force him to walk on it.  Switch to ibuprofen and wait. 

My poor little boy.  We grabbed dinner and a couple extra cookies.  And then turned back on Austyn's favorite movie.  He was crashed out before it was even half way over.  But you see, mommy needs that extra cookie sometime. 

 

No comments: