Sunday, January 20, 2013

By a foot

Update on Austyn:

Austyn seems to be having a slow recovery, either that or there is something else wrong. Again, there doesn't seem to be anything outwardly wrong with his foot or leg. He has a couple of light bruises that came up around his shin bone and his foot is a little bit swollen. He still isn't walking on his foot. He complains of the pain almost constantly. He wakes up in the middle of the night crying about the pain. But I am hoping today we have turned a corner. (**I hope.) We got shoes on his feet today! Yay! Because before if we touched his foot with even the lightest touch he would cry in pain. He stood on his foot for a second and he seems to be a little bit more mobile (crawling around the house). We went to church and he wasn't whining the whole time! So today was pretty good for him. However I keep thinking if I should be doing something more.

Yesterday we wrapped his foot with a ace wrap to see if that would help give him extra support. But one of the times he woke up crying in the middle of the night last night I took it off. Thinking maybe it was too tight and he needed the break. Since he has been a little better today I haven't put it back on. We have done the ice and elevate thing but it doesn't seem like it is doing much. The doctor recommended ibuprofen because the anti-inflammatory part of the medicine would help with the injury. However, because he was in so much pain we started giving him Tylenol in between doses. He hates getting the Tylenol and screams as much from the medicine as he does from the pain. Plus it just doesn't seem like it helped his pain that much. By yesterday afternoon it just didn't seem worth it.

Currently he is getting a much needed nap.  He got his ibuprofen at 11.  He fell asleep on our way home from church so he didn't get lunch.  So by the time he wakes up he will probably be hungry and in pain.  The urgent care doctor said that when the Radiologist comes in on Monday they will let me know if they see something broken that he didn't see.  Also the doctor said that if he isn't walking on it by Tuesday we should take him back.  I think I might just take him into seeing his Pediatrician anyways.  I mean if you or I had sprained our ankle that bad we would have gotten pain medication, some kind of foot support, and crutches, right?

I know I have a lot more years of little boy tumbling owies, especially with the track record my husband had as a boy.  However it's all feeling a little bit overwhelming.  Plus Penelope is having some difficulties at school (more on that in a separate post coming soon). There are some changes coming to our house in other aspects.  I just feel spent, you know?  It's the stress level I guess.  I know I need to relax.  Just do what I can.  Try not to worry about it.  Give it to God.  But it just doesn't seem plausible at this time.  I'm worried about my kids.   Worried that I'm some how messing up but not knowing how to change it.

Pray for Austyn, Penelope, and Russ & I.  Pray that God will take control of the situations that are surrounding us.  It is only through Him that makes things better. 

New Update:  Austyn woke up happy, crawling around the house.  Still not walking but not crying is a significant improvement.  Doing my woman's bible study homework I read: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6-7.  I have read this scripture many times but have always viewed it as a promise from God.  But it is two sided.  And God tells me what is required of me:  Prayer, Petition, and Thanksgiving.  These things I need to do to get that oneness of God that brings me peace.  I love that: Prayer, Petition, and Thanksgiving. 

 

No comments: