Saturday, November 3, 2007

The DaVinci Code

I just finished reading, actually listening, to the Da Vinci Code. I know I'm a little behind the popular rush to read it--but I didn't want to read it just because everyone else was. I did recently rent it from the library to listen during my commute to work. I think it is going to start a new habit. It really did help distract me during the time of sitting in the parking lot of the 405. Sadly I finished the book in about a week of work (which is only 3 days). I think that says a lot about my commute. It's a good thing that I got more then one audio book on CD.

Anyways, I really did like the book. It was a great mystery--I recommended it to Russell and now he's listening to it during his commute. (It's taking him a little longer to get through the whole thing. He doesn't have as far to go.) It was very suspenseful. I do have to say that I have one major problem with the story line. Sophia Neveu and Robert Langdon are pretty much the main characters. Sophia Neveu is a cytologist who works for the French FBI. Rober Langdon is a teacher who has studied the idea of the hidden holy grail. Through out the whole book it is Robert Langdon not Sophia Neveu who deciphers all the labyrinthine puzzles. Isn't it Sophia Neveu's career to uncode codes? Whats up with a women being completely helpless?

Also because there was so much rave during the time this book surface, I'll discuss this topic. First I want to state, this book is a fictional book. Again I repeat fictional. If we do just entertain the idea, but I don't believe it is true. The holy grail is out there and there is a secret group that broke off from the church to protect it. Lets just step outside the box of our ideas for a split second. Why would Jesus be any less God if He had a wife and a child? Could this all be something totally blown out of proportion? And lets just say that in the Da Vinci's Last Supper painting there is a women to the right hand of Jesus instead of one of His disciples. Where would the other disciple be? Why isn't there then 14 people? I probably don't know enough about this to make any kind of an argument either way. It all just seems like there was too much work up about some rumors and a painting.

But I do like the fictional book.

****
I give it 4 stars.




If you want to comment on this book, feel free. Also if you are interested in starting a internet book club let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this book right before the movie came out and I was highly dissapointed with the movie b/c it changed very important parts of the book.

I highly recommend "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, this book actually came out before DaVinci and its really great. I read it after DaVinci and I liked it a lot.

The main character, Robert Langdon, is also in Angels and Demons. And Tom Hanks is doing Angels and Demons as well. It comes out 2008 http://imdb.com/title/tt0808151/

Anonymous said...

Good post.