Thursday, June 18, 2009

lobster feast

For the best flavor and texture, you must prepare lobsters live, and that makes the process a little more exotic than many culinary experiences. We can assure you three things. One: It can be a thoroughly delightful experience. Two: You can successfully pull off a lobster feast even as a novice. Three: It takes lots of practice to look like you know what you're doing. Fortunately, the practice is anything but a chore.

The Coastal Living Cookbook:

The ultimate recipe collection for people who love the coast


I've always wanted to cook live lobster or crab. I know it's a weird thing to inspire for, at least I get that impression from people involved in my life. Every year, the last several summers, I have at some point told Russell, you know, it would be really nice to get some fresh lobster or crab from the pier and cook it at home. And in all reality, I have to do it once. There are tons of places that don't have live crab and lobster fresh form the sea at their fingertips. It's something about summer that makes living in sunny southern california so refreshing. The clear blue skies, the warm weather, the sandy beaches, the suntans, the cool waters, the bbq smoke wellowing in the air.

So I finally decided to do it. Russell and I had another couple over for dinner and I decided to cook lobster. I went to the San Pedro Ports-O-Call and walked through a couple of the fish markets and picked out some lobster. The original plan was the buy 1 1/2 to 2 lbs lobster for each person. But the first location, they only had 6 lb lobster. They were huge. But I was able to find a place with 3-4 lb lobsters. So I got those and ended up inviting over one more couple to help us eat all the food.

Once I drove away with these huge bug like creatures in my car my adventure went from feeling wonderful and excitting to a little scary. I was really going to do this. I had to cook these things. Did getting worried about that slow me down....not at all! LOL. After growing in the adventure as the little hiccups came, we just decided to go with the flow. In the end dinner came without a hitch a little late, but without a hitch (we don't live in the county. Get it, ha ha. Hitch. Country. ha ha. okay moving on.). Anyways I'll let the rest of the pictures and videos speak for themselves. : )

Here's how I brought them home. They were double bagged and placed in a cardboard box with another bag of ice on top. You have to keep them cold to keep them alive. If they die it could be food poisoning so you shouldn't eat them. Needless to say, one of my fears would be to kill them before I cook them. A fairly expensive mistake.



Here I am picking up one of the "little dudes". Yes, I named them. I had to, they were part of a journey with me. Sorry little dude.





Here's a video of me picking up the first lobster and putting it in the pot. I was terrified of picking them up, terrified. But it was time, and I had to do it.



Here's a video of Russell "helping". Plus it's the 3rd lobster so I was growing a little more use to it.



And of course I had to show you the finish product!



Here are all the lobsters ready for some feast.



In the end I truely enjoyed doing it. And would totally do it again, in some form. It has defiantly made me rethink my idea of opening up my own restaurant when I retire. I would be making the same thing over and over and wont be able to try these weird things, just because. And I've also realized that I'm not in any way or form ever able to be a professional chef. Top Chef I am not, LOL.

4 comments:

Janna said...

Oh my gosh, Jenny, that was hilarious! You bunch of murderers! :) My dad brought home lobsters once when I was probably a little younger than Kaeley. They kept them in the bath tub until dinner time. My dad, in all his dad fashion, told me they were pets. I ran away screaming and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner.

Nicky Stade said...

Awesome!! HAHA!

Cassi said...

great video!! I've cooked lobster once... it's a bit weird knowing that you are throwing a live animal into boiling water... if you want to do this again - I have a huge pot you can borrow so you can do 2 at a time... (they are not as good when they get cold)

Janna said...

I just showed it to Brad. He thought it was funny too. You were just so cute!