Friday, August 7, 2009

What's in a name?

Right now we are in the process of naming a child. I have always held it with a lot of importance. It can't just be any name, because it is a name that they will be stuck with for the rest of their lives. It is a name that would mold how they feel about themselves. A name is a lot. At least in my book it is. Maybe that is the reason I am so indecisive about names. What if I name them the wrong name?

My mother always said she knew when she saw us what our names were to be. She had a name picked out but if it didn't fit when she had us, she changed it. However, I don't think the process took her as long as it took me. So when I had Penelope I really was expecting a big epiphany. Well the epiphany didn't happen. In fact when I looked down at my daughter to see "who" she looked like the only name that came into mine and Russell's head was Emily. She was the only other little girl in the family. We were not going to call her Emily. We had two names picked out, Kalisa Suzanne and Penelope Joy. I really liked Kalisa and Russ really liked Penelope. In the end I looked up at Russell totally not knowing who she should be and he decided.

This time I thought it should be different. I'm fine picking a name ahead of time. Anyways, nothing is in stone yet. We could always change our minds later, right? So the name games began. First it was Gideon. I really, really liked that one but there was too much teasing potential. We talked about all sorts of names, Micah, Silas, Jordan. I really wanted a biblical name this time. And of course it had to be unique and have a good meaning. I soon learned that unique biblical names is not a good combination. There isn't a whole lot of them that are unique and most of the "unique" ones are ones you would never want anyone to call their child, like Abihu or Cornelius. (I'm sorry if your named that and reading this, no hard feelings?) We went through a couple of ones that we really liked like Nathanael or Christian or Brayden. They all didn't work because of one thing or another. So I decided that I just had too many restrictions, we were running out of options fast. So we started down the road again. We have now fallen in love with Austyn. Yes, Austyn with a 'y'. I had to be unique remember. But you will be surprised about people's opinions about a 'y' in a name. It just looks good to me and I didn't want him named after the city. But I defiantly heard it all, it makes it look masculine, or too feminine, or they will always have people spell their name wrong. I have a name Jennifer and people still spell my name wrong.

Then there is the thing about a good meaning. Austyn means "majestic dignity". It sounds nice doesn't it. I really don't have a clue what it really means, but it sure sounds better then "red weasle". Russell wanted Thomas for a middle name after his own middle name. It means "twin". Not exactly the most profound meaning but it works for me. And the two Thomas' in the family are really nice guys. So he can be their twin. So there you have it Austyn Thomas. At least until further notice.

No comments: