Monday, August 23, 2010

Austyn's baby dedication



We dedicated Austyn at our church, August 15th. It was really nice. It is always good to stand before your friends and family and remember that they truly belong to God.

I have been thinking lately about Proverbs 22:6 ("Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" NIV.) I have been doing the yearly reading plan with our church and am now in the section where the people of Isreal and Judah are being taken into captivity from King Nebuchadnezzer. It seems like all of God's chosen people can't pull themselves together for one minute to be, well, God's chosen people. Surely there must have been one family that trained their child right. Whether there was or there wasn't the bible makes it quite clear that we all have a free will. And my darling children let me know their free will all the time. When it comes to the important thing as living for eternity in heaven, I can not rest alone on my parenting skills to train up the child the right way. I need to rest in God. I need to always submit my children to God. Knock down heaven's door on their behalf. It doesn't mean that the scripture in proverbs isn't true. It is still very true. We should hold tight onto the promise from God. But also realize the constant need for a savior with our free will beings.

We picked out a life verse for Austyn: Psalms 18:32-36 NLT

32God arms me with strength;
he has made my way safe.
33He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
leading me safely along the mountain heights.
34He prepares me for battle;
he strengthens me to draw a bow of bronze.
35You have given me the shield of your salvation.
Your right hand supports me;
your gentleness has made me great.
36You have made a wide path for my feet
to keep them from slipping

I am looking forward to seeing this life verse alive in Austyn, since I have been able to clearly see God's direction in the life verse that was chosen for Penelope. After the baby dedication we had everyone over for lunch. Overall, it was a really nice day.

No comments: